Monday, February 3, 2014

An aside

SNOW!!!



It's just one of those unexpected, special days. I knew there was a chance of snow, but not that it would shut things down. The college is closed, a tutorial I had scheduled has been cancelled. Yes, it's a SNOW DAY!

There's nothing else (as far as I know) that brings out the child in us than the legitimate, undeniable release from commitments -- free to do what you want for 24 or so hours. And the silence...the snow has muffled everything; the house is a womb....

There is heat, there is food, there is music, there is a fireplace with a fire snapping and crackling (no, there's no one to share it with -- that would make it perfection -- but that's another story -- actually, several stories, one sad, one confusing).

A great sense of peace flutters down with the white flakes -- I know there are those who have had to fight their way into work and who will fight their way home -- I feel for them. I have done the same many times. But there's a sense, egoistic though it may be, that I have earned this day, that it is a reward for fighting the good fight, for being a trooper.

I think I'll watch a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movie. Oh, yes, I'm puttin' on my top hat, tyin' up my white tie, brushin' off my tails.

Be safe, be warm, be happy, and let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..until we have to go to the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment